Dark circles under the eyes are a fairly common cosmetic problem for both men and women. Genetics can predispose you to getting these blemishes, especially if you have fair, thin skin. Caused by blood pooling under the eyes, dark circles show more prominently when the skin is fair. Seasonal allergies, loss of collagen, vascular issues, hormonal imbalances and diet can cause excessive puffiness, bloating and blood pooling.
Dark Circle Causes
High blood pressure, detached retinas, diabetes, glaucoma and thyroid problems like Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism can also trigger the condition. If you have any of these conditions, your sight could be affected, so check with an ophthalmologist before beginning any cosmetic treatment. Other dark circle causes of discolorations under the eyes include:
- Food allergies, especially to dairy products
- Kidney disorders
- Excessive rubbing of the eyes
- Loss of cushioning fat under the eyes as you age
- Cardiovascular problems
- Chronic fatigue
- Sun damage to the skin
- Alcohol and drug use
- Lack of Sleep
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles
One simple dark circle treatment for discoloration is makeup to conceal the darkened area. Moisturizing skin creams offer some benefit, especially those brands with retinol, vitamin K, vitamin E and Vitamin C. Dark circle home remedies can provide significant relief from pooling blood or work to disguise darkened areas. Cosmetic physicians and dermatologists often recommend dermal fillers like Radiesse and Juvéderm to fill depressed areas under the eyes where blood pools. Fat grafts from your own body fat can also be injected to fill these depressed areas under the eyes. Other common treatments include:
- Intense Pulse Laser Treatment: This dark circles removal treatment destroys the melanin that accounts for skin pigmentation.
- Eyelid Surgery or a Blepharoplasty: Eyelid surgery can remove excess skin and bags under the eyes. Tightened skin leaves less room for blood to pool. The surgery can also correct droopy eyelids and prevent the white of the eye from showing beneath the iris.
- Bleaching and Exfoliating the Skin: Various products and cosmetic treatments help to exfoliate the skin or remove dead cells, dark spots and contaminants. The result is healthier, glowing skin with better blood circulation, which helps to remove dark circles under eyes..
- Surgical Skin Tightening: Skin tightening in surgical procedures eliminates areas where blood pools under the eyes and promotes better circulation in the area. If you have a lot of loose skin under the eyes, eyelid surgery, facelifts or mini lifts might be among the best solutions for eliminating dark areas under the eyes.
- Dark Circles Removal Laser: Laser skin resurfacing reduces dark discolorations, minimizes lines and scars and promotes new growth of healthy skin and may be an effective way to remove dark circles under eyes.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels refresh skin, lighten skin tones and reduce melanin.
- Mesotherapy: This treatment can reduce fat deposits under the eyes and lighten skin color. Treatment takes four to six sessions in the same number of weeks.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Applying hyaluronic acid on affected areas on the cheeks and under the eyes reduces swelling and fades dark spots. This may be an effective way how to get rid of dark circles.
- Dark Circles Vitamin K: Dark Circles Vitamin K promotes healthy, clear skin, reduces inflammations and promotes better blood circulation, all of which help to control dark areas under the eyes. You can take vitamin K as a pill or supplement, in an eye cream or get it from foods such as leafy greens, okra, asparagus, spinach, prunes and avocados. Vitamin K helps blood clot so that burst vessels around the eyes don’t cause blood to pool.
- Coolaser Dark Circles Treatment: The proprietary Coolaser technique of the Epione Medical Center is noninvasive and works for both dark and light skin. The dark circles removal laser targets darkly pigmented areas and fragments the pigments, which the body eliminates. The treatment also stimulates collagen production that helps the body heal faster. The procedure only takes about 20 minutes, and the results can be enhanced by injecting dermal fillers in the area to create smooth, unblemished skin.
Dark Circles Home Remedies
Dark circles home remedies for swelling and dark discolorations under the eyes include placing cucumber slices over the eyes to lighten skin color and soothe skin. Raw potato produces a similar lightening effect on dark areas when you grate the potato, extract the juices and soak them in cotton balls before applying them to the areas beneath the eyes. You can also soak cotton balls in rose-water, almond oil or tomato juice. Lemon juice mixed with turmeric and tomato paste helps to get rid of dark circles by providing a mild bleaching effect on the skin. Crushed mint leaves provide a cooling effect that soothes skin, reduces swelling and lightens dark areas.
Dark Circles Cream
An effective dark circles cream helps to nourish the skin under the eyes, encourage pooled blood to drain and strengthen thin and delicate skin so that dark spots don’t show. Retinol creams, peptides and vitamins A, E and K strengthen the areas around the eyes and stimulate collagen production. These multipurpose creams also help to counter the effects of the sun’s rays and the environment. Epione produces a signature line of creams for use under the eyes for both men and women, and these powerful formulations reduce wrinkles, fine lines, puffiness and skin discoloration while ensuring that the skin stays supple and hydrated.
Dark Circles Removal for Men
Men don’t usually have the simple option of concealing dark areas under the eyes with concealers or makeup. Of course, men can schedule any of the cosmetic procedures that women use to treat skin, but healthier lifestyle options prove attractive for men who want to control their complexions naturally. Dar circles removal for men include:
- Treating Allergies: Try over-the-counter allergy medicines and antihistamines to control swelling and minimize circulatory problems associated with most common allergies.
- Change Your Behavior: Quitting smoking and cutting down on alcohol and caffeine boost circulation, lower blood pressure and encourage better overall health.
- Treat Affected Areas with Cold Therapy: Apply an ice pack, chilled moisturizer, bag of frozen vegetables or cold sesame, avocado or almond oil to dark areas of the skin below the eyes.
- Minimize Effects of Skin Disorders: Control skin conditions like acne or eczema by treating them appropriately. Skin disorders can make darkened areas below the eyes more noticeable.
- Take Antihistamines for Improved Breathing: Treat colds, congestion and sinusitis to prevent both the darkening and dilating of small blood vessels around the eyes.
Dark Circles Removal Tips
Dark circles removal tips include home remedies, behavioral changes, camouflaging techniques, herbs and medicines and cosmetic procedures. Simple dark circles removal tips might get rid of temporary dark circles, but chronic discolorations might require a more professional approach by a cosmetic dermatologist. Discuss the problem with your doctor to see whether you could benefit from one of the many successful treatments for dark circles beneath the eyes.
Remedies for Dark Circles Under Eyes
Many factors contribute to the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. These include; food allergies, particular dairy products, kidney disorders, cardiovascular insufficiencies, toxicity and aging. Regarding aging factors, many individuals do not realize that it typically is related to genetic inheritance. In some people, one aspect of aging is significant thinning of the skin around the eyes and a loss of “fat padding” in the face, both of which can result in dark circles. One of the best ways to eliminate dark circles is with advanced laser treatments such as Coolaser ™ technique. These procedures are non-invasive, quick and require relatively little recovery time. The new advanced therapies work for both light skin and dark skin, which in the past may not have responded well to traditional laser treatments. Coolaser ™ technique may also be combined with dermal fillers for the most attractive result. At Epione Beverly Hills, Medical Director Simon Ourian, M.D. offers the Coolaser ™ technique, his proprietary laser system, for the treatment of dark circles. “Depending on the needs of the individual patient I like to combine Coolaser ™ technique with a dermal filler such as Radiesse for optimal results,” says Doctor Ourian.
Alternatives to Dark Circles Remedies Treatment could be bleaching creams or eyelid surgery.
The skin is first prepared for the Dark Circles Remedies Treatment by applying a special topical cream to the area that is to be treated. During the 20-minute procedure, a fine laser is used to fragment and destroy the pigments in the darker areas of the skin. The area heals within few days and results are a more youthful, less tired appearance.
The best candidates for the Dark Circles Remedies Treatment are men and women who are physically healthy, psychologically stable, and realistic in their expectations. Most are 30 or older, but if Dark Circles run in your family, you may decide to have this procedure at a younger age.
A few medical conditions make this procedure more risky. They include thyroid problems such as hypothyroidism and Graves’ disease. Also, dry eye or lack of sufficient tears, high blood pressure (or other circulatory disorders), cardiovascular disease, and diabetes all add to the risk of this procedure. A detached retina or glaucoma is also reason for caution. If an individual suffers from either of these it is important to check with your ophthalmologist before you have treatment. If at any time there is a concern regarding any of these risk factors, the physician might recommend other forms of “anti-dark circles” remedies.
This procedure can enhance your appearance and your self-confidence, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal, or cause other people to treat you differently. You can expect a more youthful look, but it is important to have the correct expectations before beginning treatment.
Recovery of Dark Circles Remedies Treatment
You can expect to be able to read or watch television within 2–3 days after the treatment. Most feel ready to go out in public after 7–10 days. We recommend that one should not wear makeup until 7–10 days after surgery. If you wear contact lenses, you will be required to wait for two weeks. After the two week period of recovery is over, one can assume their normal daily routines.
Your physician will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for the dark circles removal surgery. These instructions will include guidelines on eating, drinking, smoking, taking or avoiding vitamins, iron tablets and any other forms of medications. If you develop a cold or an infection of any kind, especially a skin infection, your surgery may have to be postponed. Also, while you are making preparations, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure and, if needed, to help you at home for a day or two. You can control any discomfort with the pain medication prescribed by your physician. If you feel any severe pain, it is important that you call your physician immediately. It is normal to feel a bit anxious or depressed in the days or weeks following treatment while you heal. If you suffer from dark circles and have tried over the counter “anti-dark circle” options and are unhappy with the results, Dark Circle Remedies Treatment could be right for you. If you would like to obtain more information regarding this procedure, please contact our office for a free consultation visit.
Dark Circles Remedies Treatment Cost
Lower bound: $2,500
Upper bound: $5,000
National average: $3,600
Dark Circles Remedies Testimonials
“All the concealers in the world could not do what this treatment has done…in minutes”
— Tora P, 31; Torrance, CA