Dermal Fillers Instructions
Pre Treatment Instructions
- In order to avoid bruising, it is a good idea not to take any pain relievers that work by thinning your blood, such as Motrin, Tylenol, and Advil. Avoiding alcohol and other blood thinning agents (Vitamin E, fish oil, garlic, etc.) for the first several days before and after treatment is recommended as well.
- Do not wax, tweeze, bleach, or otherwise use any hair removal product on the area that will be treated. In addition, avoid retinoids and using alpha-hydroxy acids that are higher than ten percent.
- Dermal fillers are not recommended if you are breastfeeding or pregnant, or allergic to any of the active ingredients. Consulting with a doctor is important before finalizing any major decisions.
- Skin that has been sunburned can be difficult to treat, so avoiding sunlight is recommended before treatment. Additionally, always tell your physician about any medical conditions so that an ideal treatment plan can be customized for you.
- Do not schedule important social activities, meetings, etc. immediately after the procedure. The majority of patients do not have any adverse effects from dermal fillers injections, however bruising can occur.
- Do your daily workout before your appointment for dermal fillers.
What to Expect
- Temporary stinging, throbbing, burning sensation, redness, swelling, bruising, and excess fullness.
- Redness and bruising usually last about 48 hours.
- Patients notice a clinical effect a few hours after the treatment which will improve for weeks following the injections.
- In rare cases, there can be asymmetry of facial expression.
- The risk of any side effect depends on the area(s) treated.
- The effects of most dermal fillers are reversible and most known side effects are temporary, lasting only a few days to weeks.
Post Treatment Care
- Small bruises and swelling that occur in the treated areas after the procedure are normal.
- You may apply cool compresses on the treated area to reduce swelling, tenderness, and bruising for a short period. Do not put too much pressure on the area.
- Avoid lying down and leaning forward for about four hours following the treatment..
- For approximately 24 hours after treatment (or until bruising is reduced):
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area.
- Do not apply makeup or lotions on the treated area
- Avoid extensive sun or heat exposure
- Avoid yoga, strenuous exercises and sauna or getting facials
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. Alcohol has a tendency to worsen swelling and bruising
- Make sure that you drink plenty of water.
Length of Benefits
- The benefits of dermal fillers injections greatly vary depending on the product used. Results can last from 3 months to semi-permanent.
- The results of your first dermal filler treatments are likely to be temporary, with the first few treatments’ results initially lasting three to four months. Maintaining a long-term plan with regular appointments will increase the longevity of the results of subsequent treatment sessions.
Your next visit
- Return for your next treatment in 3 months to maintain results or as recommended by your physician.
When to Call
- If you have increased swelling or bruising worsening after 48 hours
- If swelling and redness persist after a few days.
- If you have severe or increased pain.
- If you have any side effects to medications; such as, rash, nausea, headache, vomiting.
- If you have an oral temperature over 100.4 degrees.